Are you multi crafty? Do you like mixing things up a bit? Well here is a little tip for taking wall vinyl to another dimension. I love making things textured when using my Copic markers and thought why not spiff up wall vinyl with a little faux marbling or a starry galaxy. You can even make your own stencils with your cutter and stencil on designs, if you want to spend a bit more time on your project. The sky is the limit!!
For this project you will need:
Matte wall vinyl (I used matte white)
A mister bottle of Alcohol (not vodka, I prefer rubbing alcohol for this project….you can drink the vodka instead)
A couple of Alcohol based markers (I used Copics B45 and E59 sketch markers)
A pen compatible airbrush machine (I used my Copic Air Compressor)
…and of course your cutter (I used my trusty big yellow KNK beast)
1. Cut from your matte wall vinyl your favorite quote. (Finding your favorite quote and a font you want to use is probably the most difficult part…get ready for some fun!)
2. Lay your vinyl face up on a flat surface. Using your Air compressor and markers, randomly spray colors on the vinyl until you have some coverage on the actual letters you cut.
3. Using a fine mist spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in it, mist your vinyl holding the mister about 12″ from the vinyl. Let dry (shouldn’t take too long…you can always sip some vodka while you wait.) Once the rubbing alcohol evaporates you’re good to move on to the next step.
4. Carefully weed (remove excess) vinyl from around the letters. Be VERY careful not to let the weeded scraps touch back onto the letters as it is hard to get it unstuck…prior to this step you might want to lay off the vodka…never mind…too late.
5. Place your transfer tape on your colored vinyl quote (no..dont SET the roll on top like in the picture below, that won’t work..actually take it off the tape roll and apply it to the vinyl), and then place on the wall.
6. Take another sip of vodka while you stand back and admire your “out of this world” wall creation.
I hope you enjoyed the mini tutorial! Have fun with it. We would love to see what you come up with.
Jenn – The Hacker (JTH)