Years ago I had a small craft and antique shop on our property. It was in the early 90’s when handmade crafts were very popular. In 1996 I closed the shop. I had some wood that my husband had cut for me to make signs out of and I didn’t use all of it. Every once in a while he would remind me of the wood he cut and I never used. So this week,18 years later, :~) , I decided the time had come to use the wood. So, I saw something I liked on Pintrest and it needed a rectangular piece to put it on, a match made in heaven!
Clear transfer tape
fine sanding block
KNK Maxx 15″
Red capped blade
Aren’t they sweet…or is it just me because I finally found a use for the wood??? I still have a ways to go before it is gone but it’s a start. I painted the wood the color that I wanted it to be using Rustoleum 2X Painters Touch spray paint. It covers quickly and evenly. I let it dry for at least 24 hours. I then use a fine sanding block and sand the paint and wipe it off with a micro fiber cloth to remove any dust. I find that this step helps the vinyl really adhere. I love to use the clear transfer tape to transfer the vinyl because you can see exactly where you are placing it.
Here is the file Love the wine your with teamknk
1.5″ wood circles
12mm aluminum jump rings (Darice from Joanns)
9/16th screw eyes (Wal Mart)
5.5″ x 24″ wood board
15″ KNK Maxx
This plaque seems to be all of the rage on Pinterest. I had several people suggest that I make them but they looked like a lot of work to me. :O) Then someone actually said they would like to order one. Yikes…and it was someone that I knew and liked. So I said yes, I would make it. And it was time consuming, but not really a lot of work. A lot of the ” work” was in finding and gathering the supplies. I have listed where I found most of my supplies. My sweet husband was nice enough to drill holes in the circles and the board. He drilled into the bottom of the boards to make it easier to get the eye screws in. I measured my board and decided to put the eye screws at all of the “odd” inches across the board…1,3,5,etc. This came out to 12 evenly placed eye screws, one for each month. Then I painted the board and the circles. With the circles I used freezer paper and placed them on the shiny side so that I was able to paint both sides with out waiting for them to dry and they didn’t stick to the paper. I then lightly sanded the board , cleaned it off good, and applied the vinyl. It seems to make the vinyl adhere better is you sand it. And that was that! Like I said, it was not difficult to do, just time consuming. I think most of you are in the same boat that I am, but I absolutely love my KNK Maxx!
I have so much fun with my KNK Maxx and I am lucky enough that I get to use it almost every day. My daughter’s sister in law and her husband just had their first baby. I saw a “birth announcement” done in subway style and have always wanted to try it. I started with a plain white 12×12 canvas from Michaels. I used Navy Blue Craft essential paint from Jo-anns. Next time I will try spray paint as I found it took 3 coats to get a decent coverage. Then I made a 12×12 square in KNK Studio, chose O @Gungsuhche font, and started filling in the square with all of the vital statistics. When I use 2 colors of vinyl I like to place rectangles in the file so that I can cut one color with the rectangles, then the second color with the rectangles and then when I am ready I just need to set one set of rectangles on top of the other and it is all line up perfectly.
This is what the file looked like with out the fill turned on.
This is what the finished product looks like and
here is the little muppet that inspired the canvas,isn’t he a cutie!
I also saw a quote from the Grinch himself that I thought would make a cute Christmas plaque. I had my husband cut a 12×24 inch piece of 1/2 inch plywood. For those of you who don’t have the ability to cut wood you can get 12×24 inch pieces of shelving from almost any home improvement store. You can get it unfinished and paint it like I did or by it laminated with a black, white, or wood grain finish and use that for your plaque. It is fairly inexpensive and saves a lot of time. I painted the wood red using Rustoleum’s Painter’s Touch paint. It is a great spray paint that provides excellent coverage. For both projects I used indoor vinyl which can be found at www.knkusa.com . I like to use 36 force and 250 velocity when cutting smaller vinyl projects such as these.
I would share more info about this plaque but somehow, in less than a few hours time, the file for this plaque is lost somewhere on my computer.