Blinging Gabriella’s Shorts!

My son’s girlfriend enjoys all aspects of my business, especially the part involving rhinestones! : ) So, when she asked me if I could add some bling to an existing pair of shorts, I immediately said, “Yes” because the task would be easy to do and yield great results! This is how I made it happen:

Materials
Pair of shorts
KNK Zing
Scanner
Rhinestone Template Material
Stencil Board
Rhinestone Transfer Tape
SS16 Topaz Rhinestones
Shur-Line Trim and Touchup Pad
Home iron or Heating Press

Method
(1) I scanned the shorts into my computer so that I could use the existing embroidery pattern on the shorts as a guide for creating the design.

(2) In Make The Cut, I imported the scan and then manually traced the curve of the embroidery pattern. Here’s a video showing how that was done: Simple Curve Trace in MTC.

(3) Next I measured the width of the design on the actual pocket and resized the pattern on the screen to match. Then I used the Rhinestone function in MTC to apply the circles. Because you always need to cut circles that are about 0.5 mm larger than the nominal stone size, I chose SS19 (0.17 in) for the circle size. For the spacing, I used 0.02″.

(4) Then I made a mirrored copy of the pattern for the other pocket.

(5) Using the KNK Zing, I cut the patterns from cardstock first to make sure they were designed at the correct size and alignment to the existing pattern. Then I cut the patterns from the rhinestone template material using a force of 90, speed of 10 and two passes. I then pressed the two patterns to stencil board.

(6) I used the Shur-line pad to brush the stones into the templates. Then used rhinestone transfer tape to lift the stones out of the templates and arrange onto the short pockets. If you’ve never seen this process done, please check out a video I made a few years ago using the KNK Maxx, as the process is the same: Cutting Rhinestone Template Material on the Maxx

(7) With my home iron set to High, the stones were then heat-pressed onto the shorts. I pressed firmly for 15 seconds. Then I moved the iron slightly over and pressed for another 10 seconds. The second pressing insures that steam holes are not over any of the stones during the first pressing. After cooling, I peeled off the transfer tape and the shorts were ready for Gabriella to wear!

Here is a before photo:

And here is a close-up of one of the completed pockets: