We have a little vacation home that needed some updating in the bedroom. I painted a couple of the walls a light gray to freshen things up. With the painted walls, I decided the little round stenciled table beside the bed needed to be updated.
I didn’t think to take a “before” picture, but it had a finish like this.
I sanded the table lightly and painted it white. Next, I antiqued it using a dark glaze.
I wanted to stencil something on the top, but didn’t know what I wanted. We have a bit of a bicycle theme going on in our little place, but I decided we were getting a little carried away with bikes, so didn’t want to stencil one on my little table.
Numbers are popular and I thought about just putting a number on it…. but what number?? And then… an idea came to me. I’ll explain later.
Force – 45
Multicut – 3
Speed – 10
Offset – .35
Since we recently found out we will be getting a new little princess in April, I figured I would do something to signify this important event. I decided to use the number “5”, since this will be our 5th grandchild, and add the month and year of her expected arrival. (The only problem is that I accidentally used 2015 instead of 2016!! Oh well, it’s cute anyway. I’m glad it wasn’t for a customer. lol)
I used Inkscape to create the simple design.
Then, I imported it into MTC to cut it with my Zing. Since the paint was fresh, I wasn’t sure about using my permanent vinyl for the stencil. I was afraid it might peel the paint off when I removed the stencil. And, I didn’t like the idea of using my vinyl if I didn’t have to.
Yesterday, I had an HTV mishap. (… guess I’m on a roll!) I decided that the plastic transfer sheet on the discarded HTV might work well for the stencil. It worked out perfectly…. sticky, but not too sticky. I did get a little bit of “bleed” around my stencil, but I didn’t care for this particular project as I wanted a “used/vintage” look.
I stuck the stencil down to the table and added a little tape to the edge because my stencil material was pretty small. I wanted a border big enough around it that I didn’t get extra glaze where it didn’t belong. The glaze was added using a sponge brush.
Finally, I took the stencil off to reveal the finished project.