Cutting fabrics with KNK – not just the little stuff, I’m talking about the 24″ x 28″ mat for the Maxx Air!!
I am diving into uncharted waters here, and I’m a little nervous.
I know my KNKs can do the job, I just haven’t attempted this scale before. So this isn’t my typical post. Rather than sharing a project today, I’m sharing a journey.
This all started when my mom moved in with us this summer. Since her retirement, she’s spent every available moment learning and creating sewn and quilted projects. The only problem she has is arthritis and pain in her hands – and she pushes herself to the limit (or past the limit).
My craft room has been rearranged and now we have a craft and sewing room together. While she’s enjoying herself in Florida this month, I raided her project book and started figuring out how to minimize the manual pre-work for her projects. Okay, okay – I also hit every quilt store in the immediate area in search of some new projects we can work on together from scratch.
First step, decipher the lingo and then see if you can decipher the project instructions – it can be challenging for a newbie. I chose well, this is a simple project as far as shapes are concerned.
This particular project needed only two shapes and they were easily found in basic shapes. Here I added the triangle and rectangle that will be used for the project. I used CTRL+D to duplicate the shapes as needed. I am using the large mat so I can cut all of the shapes without taking the mat out of the machine in between fabrics.
Next, I changed the color of the objects to make them easily identifiable. I rotated every other triangle using CTRL-G to minimize fabric waste. I then put each cutting step on a layer and labeled the layer with instructions by double-clicking on the layer title.
Finally, I added notes. The brand and project number is first so we can locate the full instruction sheet in her binder. I don’t have a 48″ mat, so we still need to cut the binding pieces by hand – and the notes are there so we don’t forget that step.
So what did I do? I dug out my 25 year old sewing machine that made all of the kids Halloween costumes, some home decor items and even stitched a few cards over the years. I attempted to sew the topper together, and did an “okay” job. I’m a little lost on attaching the binding (so I’m waiting for my mom to come home from Florida). In the meantime I went a little crazy and bought an embroidery machine. I am practicing my technique in cutting quilting blocks to embroider and add applique pieces. The really nice thing is that applique designs can be exported into several formats used by MTC, making life very simple. The Zing Air will be perfect for applique and quilt block projects while the Maxx is busy with the big stuff.
I actually think we’re going to need more power in the craft room now. My electric bill is going to hit the roof. LOL, oh well. I’m enjoying the time with mom.