These little magnetic lockets are so fun and there are so many things you can do with them. I created this Print and Cut Locket using my KNK Zing and an illustration I drew. You could also use a photo, and charms can be inserted as well. I used permanent vinyl to add the word “Michigan” to the exterior glass.
- Magnetic Locket (Can be found at most craft stores)
- High quality paper or printable vinyl
- Make the Cut, or similar software
- Red Capped Blade
- KNK Zing (or other KNK cutter)
- Scrap of vinyl
- Low Adhesive Cutting Mat
Settings for KNK Zing:
- Force – 40
- Multicut – 1 or 2
- Speed – 10
- Trace your design.
- Draw a Circle and place it on the layer below your design. Make the circle the exact size you need to fit inside the locket.
- Size the design so that the portion you want to show fits within the circle.
- Marquee select the two and join (ctrl j).
- Keep selected and break apart (ctrl b).
- Drag the original design away and delete, or move to another layer and turn off/lock.
- Duplicate if you want the same design on the front and back sides of the locket.
- Print out your design for a print and cut. Make sure you print the registration marks. ( I used paper for mine, but a printable vinyl would work better if you want to be able to put items in the locket without scratching the design.)
- Now you are ready to complete your print and cut. Adhere to a not-too-sticky mat and complete the cut.
- Carefully remove the cut circles from the mat and gently push into locket.
- If desired, cut text for outside of locket.
Here is the other side of the locket. I actually prefer the side without the gems, but perhaps I’ll turn it if I want to wear it with a dressy outfit sometime.