We’re all mad here…

20160114-File Jan 14, 3 29 56 PM

I don’t know about you, but I love finding free cut files on Pinterest. I ended up at this site where I found this cool cheshire cat:

http://pinaforesandpinwheels.blogspot.com/2014/11/alice-in-wonderland-free-silhouette-file.html

Problem was, it was in a .studio cut format, which is Silhouette format and unable to be opened in Make the Cut.

So I went to the Silhouette site and downloaded the new software (which is needed for this file to open correctly). http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software/silhouette-studio

I had no idea how to use it, but I bumbled around and figured it out. Basically, here are the steps I did:

  1. Set the page size to 8 1/2 x 11 and resize the graphic to fit.
  2. Ungroup the graphic and select everything but the outer part of the cat. Regroup.
  3. While you have the innards selected, select arrange>bring to front.
  4. Next you have to fill the objects. I filled the outer part with black and changed the line color to black (otherwise it is red).
  5. I filled the inner selection with white, also changing the line color to black.
  6. Now I had a graphic I could print.
  7. I don’t know if this works on PCs, but on Macs, when you select print, you have the option to print to .pdf.
  8. I printed it to .pdf and now I could bring it into Make the Cut.
  9. I imported it into MTC as a .pdf and at the bottom it gives you a message that it is detecting raster graphics and it wants to open it in pixel trace.
  10. I did that, using a threshold of 244 to trace.
  11. I cut the graphic in black vinyl (v-300, f-31) on the KNK Maxx 24.
  12. Weeded it and applied it.

So really it is quite a few steps to convert .studio files, but it worked for me. Awhile back, I was able to use a super old version of Silhouette Studio to save studio files as .svg. But they took that option out and this file would not open in the old version.

If there is a better way, please, please let me know. This way works, but it is a little time consuming.

edit: Right after I added the picture, I noticed that I forgot to weed the apostrophe for we’re, so it looks wrong. I fixed it now, just too lazy to take a new picture. 🙂