We took a family trip with our adult kids to Disney World during Christmas vacation. Instead of tickets and hotel keys, Disney issues these wristbands called MagicBands, that interact with the park entries and hotel rooms. They can even be used to purchase food and souvenirs at the parks.
You can purchase special MagicBands with Disney characters, but what is the fun in that? I can make it myself! So, I decided to make the trip more memorable by customizing our MagicBands to suit each family member.
We each chose a Disney movie or favorite park attraction to personalize our MagicBands. In all the designs, I sought to invoke the feel of the theme, not a direct copy of a licensed Disney graphic. Finding inspiration was easy, scaling the designs to fit a 7” by ¾” canvas was not! I played around with a few templates I found free online and finally redesigned one that works great, which I have provided as a free file.
Vinyl – I used several different types of vinyl I had on hand. Such as Gemstone Metallics and Oracal 651
Maxx Air Settings
Force = 42, Speed = 300, Red Blade, Passes = 1, Blade Height = 25
- Open the MagicBand Templates project/SVG file.
- Select your graphics and size to fit the template. You can choose to size your graphics or text to fit within the borders of the template or to hang over the edges for an overlay effect. (Note that one side of the MagicBand has holes for the closure. You can create a design that avoids them or just punch holes through the vinyl after application.)
- Join all your graphics. Place the template on a separate layer and hide.
- If you are doing an overlay effect, join all your individual graphics. Next select both the graphic and the template and perform a Boolean Join – Intersect.
- Add a weeding rectangle and join.
- Weed excess vinyl. Apply Clear Transfer Tape and then transfer vinyl to MagicBand. Since the MagicBands are curved and cannot be laid down flat, I draped them over my roll of transfer tape to support them while applying the vinyl. I also found it was easier to apply the Mickey head separately from the band design.
Our MagicBands were a fun, unique fashion accessory customized for each family member. We got many compliments at the park on our wearable works of art! Can you guess the movie or park ride the bands represent?