Flour Sack Towel with Heat Transfer Vinyl – Zing Orbit with Sure Cuts Alot

Flour Sack Towel  Heat Transfer Towel Our little town does not have much to offer visitors. So when I saw that our local fish market had expanded and started selling items highlighting our area, I asked them if they’d like me to make up a few things for them to offer. I had made this file into a shirt for my husband last year using an inkjet transfer. I decided it would do well on a flour sack towel with a few changes. This time I used Heat Transfer Vinyl.

I recently purchased a KNK Zing Orbit and am now using Sure Cuts Alot. Being accustomed to Make The Cut, there has been a small learning curve, but for basic cutting I was able to get right at it with no problems.

Materials:

  1. ThermoFlex Plus
  2. Flour sack Towel (I purchased mine at Walmart)
  3. Red-Capped Blade
  4. Iron or Heatpress

Settings on Zing Orbit with SCAL:

  1. Pressure: 50
  2. Speed: 15
  3. Overcut: 1mm
  4. Multi-cut: Off

Steps:

  1. Open or import file in SCAL
  2. Reverse design
  3. Cut design and weed
  4. Set heat press at 335 degrees and press for 17 minutes (for hand iron, refer to manufacturer’s instructions)
  5. Fold towel in half and crease mid-point using iron or heat press
  6. Lay towel flat and use crease to place center HTV
  7. Press vinyl onto towel (Use teflon sheet or towel between iron and vinyl)
  8. Remove clear backing and repeat

I am having fun getting to know my Zing Orbit. So far, one of my favorite features on the Orbit is the ability to adjust the pinch wheels. The ability to move them close enough to cut small pieces of vinyl without using a mat saves me a lot of time, and I find myself using the feature a lot.

 

Orbit Meets Fabric

I am fortunate to have gotten to play with a new ZING ORBIT!!!  It is a great cutter and the improvements and new features make it a delight to use.  Of course, without the super manual by Sandy McCauley, I would have been lost.  Because of the nature of my job at Sew-Ciety, I have been test cutting fabrics to be used as appliques in quilting projects. The Orbit has performed flawlessly.  Any difficulties I’ve encountered have been due to the old bugaboo “Operator Error”.

Here is a sample of the testing that I have done most recently

Okay, you can ignore the large red rectangle on the upper left.  That was an additional piece of fabric that had been placed there in case my settings for a similar piece on the upper right weren’t working.

Materials Used:

Cotton Batik Fabric

Cotton Quilting Fabric

Cotton Flannel

Lite Steam-A-Seam 2

Settings:

Machine used:  KNK Zing Orbit , Blade:  Fabric Blade, Speed: 10, Blade Offset: 0.75, Height:  20 PIN

Cotton Batik Fabric:  Force:  60, Passes: 1

Cotton Quilting Fabric (Green): Force:  75,  Passes:  1

Cotton Quilting Fabric (Pink):  Force:  65,  Passes:  2

Cotton Flannel (Both colors):  Force:  70, Passes:  2

Additional Information:

This is what the fabrics looked like before I did any cutting so you can relate the settings to the fabrics.

All of the fabrics had Lite Steam-A-Seam fused to the wrong side prior to being placed on the mat.  The mat is new and the blade is new also.  I was pleased to see that the adhesive on the mat did not ‘bond’ with the Steam-A-Seam and pull the Steam-A-Seam off of the fabric after cutting.  It is necessary to be sure that the Steam-A-Seam is securely fused to the fabric before placing the fabric on the mat.

I wanted to see if it made any difference when cutting the cotton quilting fabrics (green & pink) whether I used more or less force and one or two passes.  In this instance it worked equally well.  The Cotton Batik cuts very easily and is thinner than the Cotton Quilting fabric so the blade length setting is important when cutting different types of fabric.  The Cotton Flannels are thicker and need a blade length adjustment also.

The sizes of the hearts are (smallest to largest) 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/4 inches, and 1 1/2″ inches.  The stars are 1 inch.  I am intrigued that the 1/4″ hearts cut so perfectly.  That’s why I had to cut more of them up by the stars.

The other part of my testing was that I was cutting from Sure Cuts A Lot which, again, I would have been floundering without the excellent information and instruction from the User Manual by Sandy.  Thanks, Sandy, for all your help!!