Upcycled windows are currently popular home decor items. They can often be found for free by people replacing old windows, and I have found a few put out for trash pick-up. One of my favorite projects is decorating windows with vinyl.
- Vintage windows
- Paint scraper, sandpaper, window cleaner, window glazing, razor blade (as needed).
- Outdoor Sign Vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Small squeegee
- Red Capped Blade
Settings for MTC and KNK Zling:
- Force – 15-20
- Multi-cut – 1
- Speed: 10
- Clean and prepare window as desired. I sometimes leave wood as I find it. Other times I paint and sand, often brushing on several coats of various paint colors to give it that “just right” look. (You will want to repaint if there is old, flaking lead paint.) If window glazing is loose, use a screwdriver to pull out the old glazing and replace with new.
- Clean the glass thoroughly, using razor a blade to clean off any old paint.
- Open MTC file or other file of your choice. If you’d like to use the tandem bike file, it is available in the MTC gallery.
- Cut and weed vinyl.
- Apply transfer tape.
- Adhere vinyl design to glass, carefully burnishing to remove bubbles.
- Remove transfer paper.