Custom Fabric with Foam Stamps and Paint

 

Stamped Fabric_sm_opt

I taught a class last week at a major quilt show on the possible uses of cutting machines in quilting. My goal is to bring the convenience and custom work we can do with cutters to the art quilter. One of the many topics was fabric printing with custom foam stamps.

I chose a simple shape from my files to cut from craft foam. It is best to keep the shapes simple when using this material as it is difficult to cut intricate designs since the foam can tear when releasing from the waste material.

Materials

KNK Zing/Zing Air/Maxx Air Thick Material Blade

KNK Zing/Zing Air 12″ x 12″ Mat Set (Blue Grid)

Craft Foam – from the Dollar Tree store

Grafix Craft Plastic Sheets, 12-Inch by 12-Inch, 25/Pkg, Clear .020 from Amazon

Lumiere Fabric Paint  – Dharma Trading Company

Adhesive to glue the foam to a stamping base

Maxx Air Settings

  • Blade Offset = .35
  • # Passes = 1
  • Velocity = 200
  • Force =20  – I started at the recommended 10 from the manual, but got a much better result at 20
  • Blade = Blue Blade, Blade height = 13

After cutting the shape from the foam I ran the foam shapes through my Xyron 1200 Sticker machine to apply an even coat of permanent adhesive to the foam shapes. Using the Grafix plastic, I cut squares larger than the shapes to use as stamp blocks and adhered the foam shapes to the plastic.

Stamp Loaded_opt

Loaded up the new stamp with the Lumiere paint using a foam brush.

Stamping on to Fabric_sm_opt

Positioned the stamp on my fabric and pressed firmly into the fabric. Since I made my stamp base out of clear plastic I was able to see where to stamp the next image in my design easily.

Cleaning any excess wet paint from the stamp base between stampings, helps to keep the stamped images clean and not transfer paint to any unwanted areas.

Once all the images are stamped, cover with a clean paper towel and press with a hot iron to heat set the paint.

The end result is unique original fabric to use in your next project!

 

Stamped Fabric_sm_opt

 

 

 

 

 

School Themed Wreath

I have had the idea to make a school themed wreath for my daughter’s first grade classroom for a while, but I really wasn’t settled on what medium I would use.  Then, Omayra posted projects using fun foam and I was totally inspired.  The designs used are from the SVGCuts’ “Back to School Collection”.  Some of the items I used as originally designed, others I modified.  All designs that I used on the wreath were cut on my Klic-N-Kut Max and are included in the downloads, with SVGCuts’ permission.

My specifics for cutting the Fun Foam on my KNK Maxx are 10 overcut; 15 trailing blade; 150 velocity; 50 pressure; blue blade; 6 o-rings.  No doubt your settings would not be exactly like mine, but this may be a place to start.  The number of o-rings needed are whatever it takes for the blade to move from one place to another without scoring the fun foam in the process.  Also, I taped the fun foam to my mat with blue painter’s tape to prevent any possible skewing.

In the pictures below I have detailed the changes I made to the basic purchased designs.   Most designs have multiple layers.  On all completed pieces I used a color coordinated Sharpie to color the edges and chalked the pieces for definition.

Left Picture – computer was modified to include a picture taken the first day of school, when each child releases a balloon in the air.  The small blackboard measures 7.5″ x 5.75″ and was purchased at a local craft store.  Vinyl was used for the name on the blackboard and the numbers on the ruler.

Right Picture – I cut a separate foam piece for the scissor handles and colored the edges of the handles with a red Sharpie.

Left Picture – School name was printed and the computer inserted in the backpack opening.  Right Picture – No changes from original design.

Left Picture – Cutouts were added to the books for insertion of Dr. Seuss book names.  The Dr. Seuss cover is from the web and is included as a PDF with the designs.

Right Picture – I modified the globe with what I thought were more realistic land shapes.

Assembly:  When all the pieces were completed, I found myself walking around my local craft store wondering how I was going to shim the pieces so that they faced the way I wanted them to when glued to the wreath base.  I knew that I wanted something dense, but pliable.  I was almost ready to leave when I spotted a kneeling pad that had a cutout in it to form a handle.  Now, I would have never gone to my craft store looking for a kneeling pad, but there it was…and I knew it would work!

I cut small pieces from the cutout, put a slit in one side and hot glued it in place on the wreath.  And now, I have the rest of the kneeling pad for future projects.  Then I painted the shim with brown acrylic paint to blend with the grapevine wreath.

Not all pieces needed to be shimmed.  The blackboard nestled in securely to the wreath, but was wired on the bottom corners through small drilled holes for added security.  All pieces were attached with a hot glue gun.

The inclusion of wired ribbon added additional dimension and detail.

I hope you have been inspired by my first “fun foam adventure” and find some of my techniques useful in making a wreath for the holidays or themed to validate someone’s personal interests.  I’m sure I will be using fun foam again.

School Wreath Designs in KNK Format

School Wreath Designs  in PDF Format