Oh Christmas Tree

One of the recent free files offered by My Scrap Chick was a set of three Christmas Trees.  The trees are very attractive and could be used in many ways.  I chose to make them as multi layered decorations similar to the way that they are pictured at the My Scrap Chic website.  The main difference between their sample and mine is that they glued their tree layers together and I stitched mine together on the sewing machine so my layers are only one piece of cardstock where theirs are two pieces glued together.

optimized-trees4

Materials Used:

Green Cardstock

Green Sewing Thread

Liquid Glue

Settings:

Machine used: KNK Force, Blade: Standard Material Blade (red cap), Blade Tension: 2, Passes: 1, Cutting Depth: 65, Cutting Speed: 25, Blade Offset: Red Cap, Blade Overcut: .38

Instructions/Comments:

The trees were cut in sets of 5.  Then stacked in their set.  The top tree was marked using a Centering Ruler with a line down the middle of the tree where the stack would be stitched.  This is a ruler that I’ve had for several years and it is very handy to mark the center of a lot of projects.  I like that it has metric as well as Imperial measurements on it.

optimized-centerruler

optimized-trees1

The stacks were then clipped together and sewn on my sewing machine using a size 90 embroidery needle and cotton thread in the needle and bobbin with a stitch length of 3.0.

optimized-trees2

I used a wide foot to give the machine more gripping area to keep the stack from shifting.  After they were sewn, I secured the thread ends by tying a knot at each end on the bobbin side and put a drop of liquid glue on the knots before trimming the tread ends.

optimized-trees3

Two layers were folded away from the center layer to give the trees dimension so they would stand up.  A bit of white paint could be added to the trees to look like snow.  Using the cutout from the tree would make a good aperture for a card front.

My Scrap Chick is very generous with their files and they cut really well.  Thank you ladies!

And the cards continue

I truly do love making cards. I send out close to 100 cards and make them all. The key is finding files or designing cards that are simple yet unique.

img_5415-min img_5424-min img_5423-min img_5422-min img_5421-min img_5420-min img_5419-min img_5418-min img_5417-min img_5416-min Materials

Vinyl

Cardstock

Settings

15″ KNK MAXX

Red capped blade

Speed 400

Force 33 for vinyl 90 for cardstock

dec-2016-team-knk    Here is the file for some of the cards.  The first and second cards are vinyl, #3 is a Cuddlebug embossing file and the stars are cut from cardstock, #4 is white vinyl on cardstock, #5 is glitter vinyl, #6 is left over vinyl from my last post,# 6 is a  My Scrap Chick file cut from vinyl and applied to sparkly paper, #7 is also a My Scrap Chick file cut from a combination of cardstock and vinyl, and the last card is all card stock.

Making them was the easy part, writing them out is another story.

 

Time to start making those Christmas cards

I actually did mine this past winter but decided to make these two that I saw on line. Sorry for the cruddy photos, my new camera arrives tomorrow. It is hard to believe it is November, it was almost 70 in Wisconsin today.

img_5282-min img_5283-min  Materials

Cardstock

Vinyl

Cuttlebug

Settings

15″ KNK Maxx

red capped blade

Force

Vinyl 36

Cardstock 90

Speed 400

The first picture I cut the snowflakes from a silver glitter vinyl, the bird from red glitter vinyl and the deer and  tree from indoor vinyl. The paper is Cordination textured cardstock. The second card is all Coredination card stock run through the Cuddlebug to emboss and I used some stickles on the snowflake.

Here are the files for an A6 card in KNK snowflake-card and MTC snowflake-card-2

A special request

My daughter works for a marketing company that rewards their highest achievers each month with priority parking spots for the following month. They had purchase parking permits to hang on the rear view windows to signify that they were entitled to that spot. But then they found that the employees weren’t always handing the tags back in and abusing the system. So she asked me if I could make the tags in 2 different colors so that they could alternate colors every other month.

Materials

cardstock

vinyl

clear transfer tape

Settings

15″ KNK MAXX

red capped blade

Force

38 for vinyl

110 for cardstock

Speed  450

The first thing that I did was place the tag on a dark paper for good contrast and scanned it. I then opened the scan using KNK Studio and traced the image.

img_5188-min

 

Then I cut the traced image from card stock and using Calibri bold font cut the letters from vinyl. Using clear transfer tape I transferred the letters to the tags. I took me less than an hour from design to finish.

img_5190-min

 

you’re tearrific part 2

photo-sep-13-6-29-36-pm

I saw this cute die on the sizzix web site so I decided to draw my own using Inkscape and MTC. Usually you can easily trace these in MTC, but I hadn’t drawn anything in awhile and there were very few curves in this, other than the handle. I did trace the cup and spoon attachment though, which is why I can’t share those. I changed up some things as well so not to step on any copyright toes.

photo-sep-13-6-30-41-pm

The sides kind of taper in at the top, which was a bit of a trick to draw, but I think I got it. It’s not perfect, but it worked.

photo-sep-13-6-30-04-pm

It comfortably holds 3 teabags.

djm_teabag-holder1-mtc

Here’s the file if you want to make one. It just includes the teabag holder. I used a Martha Stewart punch for the front and I have some coffee/tea clear stamps I used for the “you’re teariffic” part.

Materials:

K&C double sided designer paper

glue

twine

Martha Stewart punch

clear stamp

Machine:

KNK Zing

red blade: 10/10, 90

 

So I gave it to the aide that works in my classroom and she seemed to like it a lot. 🙂